Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm Solar Powered

Back when I was in college, there was someone on my dorm floor named Dave, (his last name escapes me at the moment. He was an art major and hence prone to flights of fancy much more than I was as a physics/EE major.

One evening when we were coming out of Findlay common after dinner, it was a beautiful sunset as we looked out over the intramural fields at Penn State. He sighed and commented to me that "If I were solar powered I would fly up to those clouds".

Now being the rationalist that I was then (and still am now, though currently less so), my reaction was, "What does being solar powered have to do with flying".

With the passage of time, though his words have come back to haunt me, as now even though I can't fly, I am unmistakably solar powered.

I know this because as the days begin their slow but steady ebb and even though winter is still months away, I am feeling the slow departure of the sun start to make me ache inside. Still in a low quiet way, but unmistakably there none the less.

I notice it now that I am waking up in the morning and the sun is no longer there to greet me, granted it does come up quickly enough, but I miss my friend (the sun) in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment